Like everything else, there are unwritten rules involved in social media marketing. Everyone is obliged to follow these rule, but those that are new to the game, may miss out on the basics. Here are 21 unwritten rules of social media marketing that are designed to create a solid foundation for any social media marketing campaign.
21 Rules For Effective Social Media Marketing Strategies
- No Shortcut – Social Media Marketing involves investing time, energy, and creativity. It’s a commitment that can’t be avoided, or overlooked.
- Contribute – If you can’t contribute something of value to the community, no one will listen. It’s that simple.
- Position yourself to be an expert – Why would anyone take advice from someone doesn’t know anything? If you need to learn more, then do so, but make sure that you can offer valuable advice to fans and followers.
- Meaningful Conversation – If you aren’t saying anything meaningful, you shouldn’t be saying anything at all. If you’re adding to the noise, you’re sure to be ignored.
- Activity ≠ Productivity – Just because you’re active, doesn’t mean your accomplishing something. Be productive, not noisy.
- Quality > Quantity – Keep it simple. Offer friendly concise morsels of advice instead of constant rambling conversation.
- Avoid Spamming – Constant self-promotion isn’t attractive. If you feel a need to constantly draw attention to yourself, you’re not accomplishing anything.
- Keep It Real – Be authentic. Draw crowds by drawing on your own experiences, knowledge, and humor.
- Conversation is a Two Way Street – Give followers and fans an opportunity to sound off. If you’re monopolizing the conversation, it becomes a boring lecture instead of a successful marketing strategy.
- Connection Don’t Imply Permission – Just because you’re being followed doesn’t mean people grant you permission to interrupt their lives. You have to take time to build relationships and trust.
- Access Doesn’t Equal Entitlement – Making connections may give you access, but it doesn’t mean fans and followers owe you anything. Don’t allow an enthusiasm for sharing lead to a drop in quality. Fans and followers aren’t required to listen to whatever you have to say.
- Adaptability is Essential – What’s hot today may not be hot tomorrow. Keep up with topic trends and stay adaptable.
- Accomplishment – If social media marketing efforts aren’t leading to conversions or some sort of productivity, then your efforts are pointless. Measure your efforts and make adjustments as needed.
- Engagement & Enrichment – Engagement for engagement’s sake isn’t effective. Engagement efforts should lead to enrichment, otherwise all efforts are wasted. Always engage sincerely.
- Use Images & Multimedia – A picture is worth a thousand words. Video is probably worth much more. Don’t just tell, use your platform for showing as well.
- Always Follow Up With Connections – Don’t ignore fans and followers who make connections with you. Always follow up; it makes people feel special and more likely to listen to you.
- Mind Your Manners – Sometimes fans and followers may not be polite. They may disagree with your content or views. Allow them to speak up and respond in an appropriate manner.
- Patience is Crucial – Social Media Marketing rarely delivers instant results. Don’t give up after a short time. Patient marketers have more chance to reap rewards.
- Don’t Be An Obsessive Joiner – Following too many groups can hamper your marketing efforts. Spreading yourself too thin can harm any campaign. Always limit group participation.
- Better To Be A Blogger – Yes, successful social media marketers do maintain blogs. If you’re active on social media, you should blog regularly.
- Have Fun! – If you’re not enjoying yourself, you’re not doing it right. Social interactions should be fun and purposeful.
Social Media Marketing Campaigns can lead to sales success if they’re applied correctly. Follow these 21 unwritten rules, and you’ll be well on your way to running a successful campaign.
Brought to you by: Social Metrics